Monday, June 29, 2009

THE SON WHO FELL INTO THE SKY


After weeks of dreams, pointless...
I stand on the porch in the cool morning
Watching the hills light up. .

The world is a girl You made
She puts on her ancient bonnet in ignorance, beautiful.
In my hands I hold broken twigs wrapped in paper.
Old promises ache.

Just at the moment where others recognize you
And rush up and touch your face and speak your name
I’ll be silent.
When darkness comes my prayers fountain up and find you at last
Deep in the empty blue thickened with comets.

This morning on the porch
I bow once again to the Son who fell into the sky.
Bruised and battered, he confessed guilt to my sins.
Then tumbling into the wind, he was caught.


The speck of his body is still there,
Red shirt and blue pants, tugging high up like a kite,
Pinned like a jewel, forever, on Your cheek

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Henry. I hardly knew him, yet miss him.

Unknown said...

I am a member of the South Valley church of Christ in Las Vegas. Saw you logged on to watch today's worship service. I then looked at your FB page and found this very nice poetry...I noted that you have a memorial to Henry Roberts. Is that you son? We lost a son, too. He was just 18 when he died in 1993. A long time ago, but it seems like yesterday.